Liber Umbrarum Available!

Posted 2009.04.30 20.07 in iPhone

Well I don’t know when it happened because I never received a notice from Apple, but Liber Umbrarum et Lux was released and is available for download – in time for Bealtine too!

It might have been yesterday or today, but whenever it was, here’s the link where you can grab it: Liber Umbrarum et Lux at the App Store

It is, of course, free – so enjoy!

1. MorriganTristessa says:

I have been enjoying the Liber Umbrarum et Lux on my iPod. I was especially excited about the herbs. I would really like to see that section expanded in the future. I am working on a project like that myself (mostly medicinal but also magickal) but I am pretty much low tech. No programing for me 😉 Thanks.

2. Manshoon says:

would you be open to adding others additions to this? If not what did you write it in? I would love to put my book in that format so I can use my phone instead of my paper book…

Interesting query, Manshoon – I had not really thought of that before. In the past I would simply have given away the source code and you or anyone else could do whatever you wanted with it. (See my Liber Umbrarum on the Apple Newton, for example.)

However, Apple has chosen to keep a very, very tight control on coding for the iPhone, making it a much more laborious and red-tape-infested process. You can’t even code applications just for your own personal use, without having to pay a $100 per year fee.

My concern due to the way Apple has structured things is that if I release the source code, someone else could then resubmit it to Apple as a paid app after making some cosmetic changes and I don’t want to have to get into a fight over that kind of thing – I can’t afford the time let alone the legal bills.

As for incorporating elements of other peoples’ books into the version I’ve created for the iPhone, that’s something I just had not thought about – it’s the first time someone has mentioned it in all the years since I first published my Liber Umbrarum electronically. It is something I will have to put some thought into before I can really comment further.

4. Silky says:

I have to congratulate you for this application as it is very useful and interesting,you don’t get a lot of iphone apps relating to wiccan or book of spells and the few available are expensive and is not really accurate so I am very grateful for presenting us with your app,hopefully you will have more additions for updates in the future,thank you once again.

5. ATLAS HART says:

Hello Stephanie, my name is Jacob and I am trying to start out with the craft. I feel clueless on how to start because there are no covens in my area and I do not know how to start with the craft. I want to also become purified since it is required with any spell or practice in the craft. How do I purify myself and also, where can I buy an athame and where cold I get it consecrated? I also wish to get herbs and such and I know I barely know anything in that area.

I would ask support from friends or family but nobody cherishes the craft and are stuck with the mythical ways of their bible. If you are wondering, I cherish the craft because it feels connected to me in some way. I have always been fascinated with it and the good that could come of it. I guess what I am saying is I need help and if you can add those things and some more useful spells to the app, it would e gladly appreciated. Thank you sister and blessed be.

Hello Jacob, thank you for your kind words.

On the topic of purifying yourself, the app does include a section on self-initiation. Beyond that, and at the risk of stating the obvious, it is best to be alone, in private, and skyclad. A thorough shower and scrubbing first, you know what they say about cleanliness and godliness, and then light some incense and meditate. In this way may you cleanse your body, mind, and spirit.

On the athame, I cannot recommend a specific shop or seller. It must resonate with you. It does not have to be fancy. Anything from a hunter’s knife to a kitchen paring knife will do, even a pocket knife. The important thing is that you are comfortable with it. It is also not something you must decide once and live with forever. If you try one and find it does not resonate with you, then find another.

While it is tradition that consecrating an athame requires another already-concecrated athame, this is not always practical or possible. The power of the divine is within all of us and in lieu of another athame, simply place your hand upon it and focus your intent and thoughts upon it as you perform the ritual.

For learning more about herbs, there are a number of books, some with a wiccan theme, others that are simply about herbology or traditional healing. My advice though is to start with the world around you. Find a wild place, even an empty lot overgrown with ‘weeds’, and start examining what is growing there. The internet is a huge resource and it takes some time to get started, but IMHO this is better than just reading books and looking at pictures. The first few may be difficult but it gets easier as you learn to know what to look for.

Thanks again for writing, and good luck in your travels. Blessed be.