This past weekend I got the new version of the ISEB-6 mostly soldered out.
It all went together fairly easily, with two unfortunate exceptions. The BMP085 barometric pressure sensor, and the HMC6352 magnetometer/compass. Both components are surface mount ‘leadless chip carriers’ – and both proved harder to hand-solder than I expected.
The thing is, unlike the ATMega1284P which is a TQFP-44 or the few SOT23 parts — all of which have ‘pins’ sticking out (albeit tiny pins), the two aforementioned sensors are in LCC packages where the connections are all underneath the part. There’s nothing visible from ‘above’.
I had some tricks in mind to solder them, and the tricks failed. In the end, I unfortunately destroyed both parts. Boooooo. Fortunately I did have a spare BMP085 laying around, but the HMC6352 is kinda-expensive and I didn’t have a spare.
Also-fortunately, I had a backup plan for soldering these tricky parts – hot air. I have a Sparkfun Heaterizer XL-3000 which I hadn’t actually used before. It did the trick though, allowed me to remove the dead parts without destroying the rest of the ISEB6 board, and I was able to solder the new BMP085 with it.
When I get a replacement HMC6352, I’ll use the Heaterizer once again to get that in place.
After that, the next steps will be to assemble a new leather bracer, and then build it out, with all the peripherals.