You are currently browsing the processing tag archives.
Being stuck at home with this lame leg is starting to get me down. I can’t go out and enjoy the nice weather. Can’t go for a walk. Can’t even go for a drive, as it irritates my leg to be in the car for any length of time. About the only thing that’s improved is without the IVs in my arm, I’m able to get my arms into a dark-bag to process some film I shot earlier.
The pics below were shot on Kodak Elite Chrome, using my Olympus XA-3. Elite Chrome is a slide film, but I cross-processed it in my standard C-41 chemistry. That’s why the colours are so wild and wierd. Where the Fuji film I’ve cross-processed has come out with pink and red hues, this Kodak brand came out with lots of greens and yellows. It’s kind of neat, I think.
The XA-3 did a good job, I quite like that camera. Most of the images are sharp and nicely exposed, though there’s a bit of motion-blur here and there as a few shots were snapped from the car while it was moving. I actually still had the IVs on when I shot off this roll, so it’s mostly crummy car-shots I took while getting from home to work or whatever.
Grumble grumble lame leg. Not crippled enough for an accessible-parking permit but too crippled to be out going places and doing things.
Processed for about 24 minutes in my tired old C-41 chemistry, at about 68 degrees F. I’m really abusing those chemicals. They were rated for 12 rolls of film or 2 weeks, whichever came first. They’re now over 3 months old and I’ve processed over 35 rolls of film with them, and it’s still kicking.
I know I said I wasn’t going to try and process colour film in B&W chemicals any more. The problem is, I was reading and came across a clue as to what I did wrong. I didn’t fix it long enough – I read someone was fixing for 30 minutes to get good results. So armed with this new knowledge, I decided to give it another shot. I had two exposed rolls, and got a second reel for my tank so I can now process ruin film at twice the efficiency.
Well, it didn’t really turn out again. I don’t know what was wrong this time. Maybe I mixed the fixer too weak. I’ll have to go and read some more. The negs were still so dark (almost opaque) that I really had to push the scanner just to get an image out of them.
This time though I decided to go a little crazy with them. Instead of scanning them as black and white, I scanned in colour. And instead of trying to get realistic images, I decided to just yank the sliders and dials this way and that, I let each frame inspire me.
Oh – and I almost forgot! All these pictures were taken with a pinhole camera! I was not just testing the home film processing, but the roll itself was a test of using a pinhole instead of a lens.
I’ve been having a lot of fun lately with my new digital SLR camera. So much in fact, that I decided to get out my old 35mm SLR and take some more shots with it, just to compare. Even after about 7 or 8 years in storage, the camera still works fine. It’s a (roughly) 20 or 25 year old Minolta X370 — almost completely manual. The only thing it can do automatically is if you focus and set the aperture, you can have the camera work out its own shutter speed. Other than that, it’s manual all the way.
Anyhow, I tested it out and the metering and shutter etc. all seemed to work. All I needed was to get some film, so I headed on over to Costco – they always had the best deals, like 5 or 10 rolls for some low low price. Their photo processing’s the best deal as well, actually it’s about the only thing I bought there for a while. So I went in, and started looking around…